Monday, July 5, 2010

Reindeer's Tears


The other day I was sitting in a bar with some friends, drinking a vodka and cranberry. One of my friends said, "Oh, you got a reindeer's tears."
No one else had ever heard the drink called that before. She used to live in Alaska- I think that's where she got it.
Looking it up online, I found several variations on the recipe, but none was just a vodka-cran. In fact, a reliable-looking account said the whole thing was a Finnish joke: you pour a shot of vodka, put in a single cranberry, then drink the vodka. The cranberry adds nothing.
At any rate, it always seemed to me that vodka and cranberry should have a name. And I'm sure there are plenty of sad reindeer out there, what with the global warming and all.
Photo: Ironically, it makes a good summer drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment